Tuesday 30 September 2008

Let's do something

I do not care to find out what the government might be doing for the African society. So far I have heard of none...

But what I'm going to do is to pray and ask God for wisdom on how to create awareness of tolerance to all races in our country. That's the least I could do.

I can't stop a gang of metal-rod, switchblade wielding youths... but I can do my part as an educated citizen to stir up awareness in the general public. To advocate the respect for a basic human life.

I am planning to the following:

i. Street survey of the incident that happened that day.
ii. Taking a poll of the general public's opinions towards the growing African community in our area
iii. Interviewing taxi drivers and getting their feedback

I have other plans in mind, but I'm keeping them in view first. If anyone wants to contribute any ideas... please to leave a comment with your e-mail and I'll get in touch with you :)

Lastly, I leave you with a comment in my previous post on this incident from someone who echoes perhaps a general sentiment of African students in Malaysia:

"...i`m staying near where the accident happened, we have been attacked more than 3 times in Taman Melati and we have made more than 2 reports and nothing yet change, what even worse we caught one of them and we took him to the police station, of course we had proves and witnesses and still nothing change ! the same guy was released in less than a week and he still practicing his hustling !! strange isn't it !??

...last week a group of youth attacked 2 girls, and when the police came the gang were stand still and there were no moves from the 2 police cars !! this week we have a dead man, married with 8 month daughter, a result of extremely discrimination and full of hate towards us, and still nothing change..

...we have one life and there is absolutely nothing to do here except counting days left to be in Malaysia.."

Great job, Malaysia. Now can we start doing some real work on building a caring society please?

No comments: