Friday 2 April 2010

Simon of Cyrene

the sound of the whip slashes the air and cuts into his flesh.

a moan of pain escapes his lips, wrist-clenching, jaw clenching.

as I stand from the sidelines and survey this grotesque scenario unfolding before my eyes. I am shocked and disgusted to see the Romans literally tear apart this man like wild dogs tearing apart a carcass.

only this time, the carcass isn't dead yet to be one.
the crowd is filled with whispers and gasps of shock like mine.

who is he?
what did he do to deserve this?
is he really the Son of God?

some spit and snarl in contempt.

blasphemy deserves judgement.
who would dare to take the name of God as his own?
blasphemy! demon!

but the man who is torn apart before my very eyes, looks nothing like a demon.
a rag doll maybe?

I shake my head and grimace as I see those metal hooks dig into his ribs and yank out another chunk of flesh. the smell of blood and sweat is unnerving, even nauseating. I need to get out of this place. I have no part of witnessing man at his worst. As I turn and try to push my way through the crowd, a Roman guard spots me from the arena and he points his bloodied whip at me.

You there!
who me? don't call me
Yes, you! The one who is walking away!
what? what do you want to do with me?

the man needs help to carry his cross. why me?
of all people... pick someone else. not me. i don't even know who he is.

do it.

and here i am now. struggling under the massive weight of a wooden cross.
the man who gasped next to me, with blood dripping from his head.
before they sent him to carry the cross, he had some "royal treatment" - crown of thorns rudely wrapped around his head and a purple robe around as a mockery.

we never spoke a word. Just breathing alone would have cost him so much of strength. as we trudged up to the hill, my mind raced with questions. i did have an opportunity to ask him up close who he really was.

did you lie about who you are?
are you really who you claim to be?
if yes, why are you in such a pathetic state?
why not show your glory or majesty?

but somehow, silence was more fitting for the two of us.

finally. we're here. the guards pushed me aside and proceeded to drag the man onto the cross. he's so weak that he can't even lift himself up. His body is ridden with fresh wounds and cuts. He hardly looks human to me anymore.

"...he was despised and rejected - a man of sorrows, acquainted with the deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care."

Isaiah said that. He foretold that the Savior would not come in his kingly robes, but rather be a man of sorrows.

could he be the one?

the guards stretch his arms and legs across that wooden cross. the clink of nails.
the women wail and cry because they know what is next.

as the first nail drives in and blood spurts out, i wonder was it worth going through all this? would a normal man put himself through shame and suffering?

the second nails crunches through. his face is already contorted with so much pain. his body shivers and shakes with the agony.

who are you Jesus?

They lift up the cross and present the Roman Guard's latest specimen of shame. The one whom Pilate washed his hands off. The one whom his own countrymen spat on and ridiculed. The one whom was sold for 20 pieces of silver by Judas to the High Priest.

Jesus. Son of Joseph the Carpenter and Mary.
Jesus. Master of the disciples.

Jesus, Son of God?

my emotions suddenly rise within me. as i question myself who is this Jesus to me.
did he really come to save me as he claimed to all of Jerusalem?
what if its true?

dear friends, it's Good Friday. Most of us are celebrating it as a holiday. But this day was bought with the price of blood and shame.

Jesus died not just for me, but for you as well. And if you've been at a point or are now at a point where you question your existence, you are wondering if Jesus really is the Son of God. Do ponder and think. But don't just stop there!

Talk to someone. Talk to a friend you can trust who knows who Jesus is. Search the Bible (there are loads of online bibles to be read for free). I even challenge you to talk to a pastor, since they're just normal people like you and I.

But would you consider this? To open your heart just once and ask God to talk to you. He doesn't just talk to Christians, His heart is always ready and open to everyone on this earth. The bible says, call upon His name and you will be saved. And God is ready to come in and be your God today.

Jesus suffered the Cross, endured shame for all of us. But He didn't just die and the story ends. He rose again on Sunday and that's why we celebrate Easter. Nothing really to do with Easter eggs and the Easter bunny. Jesus wasn't so commercial! He was committed to save you and I.

God bless you.

No comments: