Friday 26 March 2010

true colours

"Friendships are complicated!"
That's basically what someone told me today. I wanted so much to correct her and be all grown-up like and say that things are simple, don't over-exaggerate. But as I paused and surveyed this more than 10 years younger than me creature, I realise that I'm not any different from her.

Complications are a result of a world of imperfection. And friendship is really one of those things that make or break a person be it teenager, young adult, parents, grandparents, strangers, foreigners, teachers, accountants, doctors, road sweepers, mailmen...

Friendships matter.

The constant fear that threatens your mind with things like whether the friend you are talking to really IS a friend, is anyone talking behind your back lately, do people accept you for who you really are, are you being used, do you match up to the group's standards, loneliness, fear of rejection...

This is to you because when you said that you were worried/scared if people would be talking behind your back. You are scared because you are afraid that they might be nice in front of you, but behind you they really don't like you at all.

Let me admit something. I share that same fear.
But time and circumstances have proven that if I strike out and have a little bit of faith and realise that in order to find out, I have to take a deep breath and make a move into the deeper end where lies unknown things and people.

I'm scared of friendships at the moment. Really I am.
But we all need to be honest with ourselves.
I've found out that if I can look beyond who I am and trust God and believe that He knows what He's doing, I can rest assured that I'm heading in the right direction for my life.

Yes, I am feeling that same dread threatening to engulf me. The week has been interesting in the friendship department for a lot of people, not just myself. Here's a song where I always think of when I feel like things are overwhelming.

True Colours (Cyndi Lauper)
You with the sad eyes don't be discouraged
Oh I realize, it's hard to take courage
In a world full of people you can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you can make you feel so small

But I see your true colors shining through
I see your true colors and that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors are beautiful like a rainbow

Show me a smile then, don't be unhappy
Can't remember when I last saw you laughing
If this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can bear
You call me up because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors shining through
I see your true colors and that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors are beautiful
Like a rainbow

No comments: